Thursday, March 22, 2012

Same Ole Same Ole

I have my moments...I want to ride but sometimes I can't imagine seeing the same scenery consisting of tract houses, concrete and shopping centers. Then there's the cars going past at 40 to 50 miles per hour.

I want beautiful tree lined roads with no traffic, a quiet path to cruise with Betzi, a small town where you don't have to battle major intersections or the raw beauty of the desert.

I see other bloggers post pictures from other parts of the country and I want to be there.

I slowly put on my cycling clothes and shoes. I load up my trusty three wheeled chariot and push myself out of the garage. A few strokes of the crank and I'm once again connected to the pavement.

I see and pass all the same ole stuff but in my pre-ride melancholy state how did I forget about the fantastic mountains beyond the roof tops and some of the open spaces I pass where the critters still show up to entertain me. I didn't even consider the new folks I always seem to come across that smile and wave at me. I have to slow down sometimes so we can exchange a few fun words. Of all things...how could I have forget how good it feels to have nothing but sky over my head, sweet breeze in my face and the great feeling of knowing that I can propel myself forward with nothing else but that which the creator has seen fit to grace me with.

I'll be damned if I'm going to let some ugly streets stop me. There's still beauty where cities have sprawled...you just gotta look a little harder and a little closer to see it.

There's what I'm looking for...open space to my left and beyond the tract house are the  Simi Hills.