Thursday, July 11, 2013

"Dork Factor"

In Byran Ball's article in the Adventure Cyclist magazine Byran says, "I also hear a lot of  talk about the dork factor" in regards to the perception of recumbents  Let's take the word "dork", Wikipedia defines dork as "a slang word for a stupid or inept person." Stupid and inept defines Wikipedia so lets move on. I find that the Urban Dictionary defines "dork" quite well, "Someone who has odd interests, and is often silly at times." It goes on, "A dork is also someone who can be themselves and not care what anyone thinks." Bingo! I'm a dork!


I'm not looking to blend in, I've spent to many stressful years trying to blend in and to be "normal" as defined by a "civilized" society and my ex wife. I drove the proper cars, wore the proper clothes and socialized with the proper people. Back in the early 1990"s that all changed with a divorce (the ex was enjoying her business trips a little to much) and meeting Carrie and eventually getting married, putting aside the expectations of others and living our own life.

I know that just about everyone out on the road is looking at me ride my recumbent trike and they all have opinions guided by what is "normal." I'm enjoying my self to much to care about what is "normal." How many of the gawkers wish they could be riding along with me but are to busy trying to be "normal" and "fit in." I've seen folks, closer to my age, riding a traditional bike and looking absolutely miserable. How long can they keep that up, trying to fit in by riding a crotch rocket?

With some exception it seems to me that everything about riding a recumbent makes more sense for the average recreational cyclist then riding a traditional diamond frame bike. But what bicycle racers ride drives the market and racers ride what the UCI (International Cycling Union) tells them to ride thus the traditional diamond frame bicycle based on a UCI formula from the 1930's. 

I digress.

Suffice it to say that dorks "someone who can be themselves and not care what anyone thinks" have more fun. We're not govern by someone else's standard. We're living life, we're living smart and we're living our way. Let the others play follow leader from pasture to pasture.