Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Central Coast Chip Seal

Started out my morning in Cambria at the beach with a cup o'tea and marking my territory with a cairn.




I headed out on my Catrike 700 at 9am and started riding North along Highway 1. WHAT WERE THEY SMOKING at Caltrans when they decided to resurface Highway 1 with chip seal. One of the most beautiful and popular rides along the California Coast has been destroyed by this coarse excuse for road maintenance. No consideration for cyclists just get it done cheap. Caltrans figured out that they screwed up big time and they are now in the process of trying to reverse some of the damage. Angry cyclists as well as motorists with cracked windshields from the loose chip seal rumble have voiced their disgust with the weak minds at Caltrans.
Before giving up on my northerly route I rode through a construction zone and managed to talk to a couple of the Caltrans crew. They admitted there has been much to say about the nasty new road surface and Caltrans is now trying to resurface some sections of the new surface. They managed to screw up 30 miles of highway from Cambria to the Monterey County line.
I had heard about the lousy new road surface and had even signed a petition without knowing how truly terrible the new road surface was until now. I didn't think it could be that bad, it was indeed a nasty ride on my 700. Even my Expedition would have a hard time with this stuff. You need suspension to enjoy this part of the coast. After a couple of miles I turned around and headed south. The chip seal stops at Cambria and the ride South is smooth going but more traffic.
(click here for my later post with more information)




The road South, no chip seal.




Taking a break on a side road before heading back to meet up with the family.