Monday, November 7, 2016

ICE Carbon Seat Hard on the Hip

So far the rides on my new ICE Sprint 26 FS have been short. The carbon fiber seat is hard on my right titanium hip. After about 5 miles my right hip starts to succumb to the hard shell seat. It seems like the hardness of the seat and the upswing at the bottom edge of the seat plays havoc on my piriformus muscle. My left titanium hip is fine but the right side has been compromised by calcification of the tissue (Heterotopic Ossification) around the hip joint. On the positive side it only bothers me when I'm pedaling. Oh well.

The mesh seat on my Catrike 700 is very comfortable and causes me no grief. So my next step is to take a closer at the ICE mesh seat. Although when I took my first (very short) test ride on a ICE mesh seat awhile back I felt like I was going to slip off the seat. I'll check out the ICE mesh seat again before making any hard decisions. 



Dang, the comfort of the Catrike seat has spoiled me. I hope I can find that same comfort with an ICE mesh seat.