Wednesday, June 3, 2020

ICE Ergo-Luxe Seat Re-reviewed

Let me start off my saying that my original review from April 16, 2020 was done shortly after my back surgery February 19th. I largely discounted the Ergo Luxe seat due to discomfort around the incision area of my back where I had surgery. I didn't even take the effort to make minor adjustments needed to accommodate the extra thickness of the Ergo-Luxe. BIG mistake! So please let me have a do-over.
_______________________
Another update 3/3/21
After developing a tear in the Ergo Luxe seat (go to post) I put the mesh seat back on. For now I'm very happy with the mesh seat and plan on keeping it on the trike. What I like most about the mesh seat is a bit lower center of gravity and the the firmness of the mesh seat when peddling.

____________________________

ICE Ergo-Luxe Adventure seat cover on my ICE Sprint
I use an Adventure seat frame on my Sprint. 
The frame of the Adventure seat base is a bit longer and I find it more comfortable.

I'm very VERY happy I did not end up selling the Ergo-Luxe seat cover and waited for my back to toughen up. It has toughened up and now I can say this seat is really comfortable. Like REALLY comfortable.  

After having installed the Ergo-Luxe seat cover on my Sprint seat frame and making minor adjustments to the trike to accommodate the thickness of the Ergo-Luxe I took it for a 20 mile outing. It's clearly the most comfortable seat you'll ever sit in whiling pushing pedals. After a few more rides it's without a doubt going to stay on my ICE Sprint FS E8000. The couple of negatives are outweighed by the positives.

The seat sits a little higher with its extra padding raising the center of gravity a bit but the seat is constructed in a way that makes it much easier to lean into a turn. On the old mesh seat I had to lean forward to clear the seat frame before being able to lean into a turn. Being able to easily lean into a turn by far compensates for the higher center of gravity.

Another issue that gets talked about a lot is heat. Yes my back heats up a little more with the Ergo-Luxe but not nearly enough to be a deal breaker considering everything else that rocks on the Ergo Lux. 

Another issue I brought up in my original review was the extra padding absorbing energy. As I said earlier "I ride a lot of hills and I felt that the Ergo-Luxe was a bit too cushy and absorbing some of my power when pushing pedals going up a hill." I feel now that I may have over thought this issue. With the E8000 and my riding style being being more relaxed nowadays the loss of power is a minor issue. 

In the end the seat is supper comfortable and easy on the old muscles. I'm really enjoying the ICE Ergo-Luxe. And to think I almost let the haze of a recent back surgery cloud my thinking. I have been enlighten.

This is not a seat for someone who wants to ride light and fast. For all others it's an option worth looking at.


The minor adjustments that needed to be made on my Sprint to accommodate the extra padding of the Ergo-Luxe

Ready to Ride