Wednesday, July 6, 2022

ACA Pacific Route Ventura to SF

Updating this post as of July 27th.

Change in plan. After looking more closely at the ACA Pacific Route between Ventura and San Fransisco it is not all beautiful scenery. There are a lot of segments of this route which give me no reason to ride them. Some roads are less than safe but I know how to navigate unsafe roads. It's the scenery that is for shit. I can be goal oriented but it doesn't make sense for me to ride routes I don't enjoy just for the sake of riding them. I want to make good use of the riding years I have left. Hopefully a lot of years are left but us boomers are not getting younger. So I'll ride all the worth while segments of the Pacific Route and focus on other cool rides. In September I'll be taking a road trip to Oregon to Ride the Rim at Crater Lake. It will be followed by a ride on the Sacramento River Trail in Redding Ca. starting at the Sundial Bridge. And maybe I'll add in the Covered Bridges in Oregon before heading South to Redding and then home.

___________________________________

After 13 years and thousands of miles of riding trikes on the same routes and climbing a few hundred thousand feet on those routes I've been itching for a change of scenery. Besides taking some road trips with my beautiful wife Carrie to checkout some new roads and trails (which we've been doing) I also want to ride the Adventure Cycling Association Pacific Route between Ventura and San Fransisco. I'm not planning some epic tour. The days when I would consider a long multi day tour are behind me. I'm just going to ride at my own pace and mostly do day rides and meet Carrie at the end of a ride. Maybe I'll continue riding another segment of the Pacific Route the next day or not. Eventually I want to take in the entire coast between Ventura and San Fransisco by the end of next year or sooner. My entire purpose is to experience Highway1 and the ACA Pacific Route from the seat of my trike. 

Why do it this way? Simple, it makes it possible to travel with Carrie who prefers not to be riding a trike or any kind of bicycle. We like to travel together and she can do her thing for a good part of day and I can do mine. At the end of day we're back together for dinner and drink. We end the day together in the comfort of a hotel room and I can rest my gimpy legs in the comfort of a real bed, no more camping and sleeping on the ground for me.

Having e-assist makes the rides a no brainer. Before e-assist the thought of handling the climbs held me back from rides that would involve significant climbing or distance. I have plenty of battery range with three batteries. Info on my battery range here.

I can't do a traditional tour but I can adapt and tour my way.

Highway 1 at San Simeon CA.


The route from Ventura to San Fransisco. It's my intention to make the entire route turn blue by riding it in segments. The red is currently the section I have not been on. The blue part of the route I've been on many many times and I decided to check out the rest of the route one segment at time. Most of the rides will be from North to South for a better Ocean view,


The numbers


My support team.