Thursday, July 21, 2022

MicroShift Bar End Shifter

Updated September 2022

I'm now using an SRAM 1190 bar end shifter. Post Here


I installed a new MicroShift indexed bar end shifter after putting 2,150 miles on the old MicroShift. Good enough for a $50 shifter.


After replacing my worn out chain and adding a new cassette (post here) I couldn't get the gearing tuned. Either the top few gears were tuned or the bottom gears. But never the whole gear range. The problem had to be with the old MicroShift shifter. And it was. All gears are now perfectly tuned with the new MicroShift indexed bar end shifter. 

For $50 I have no problem replacing the 11 speed shifter at around 2,000 miles. I would prefer a Sram indexed shifter but I can only find them sold in sets for front and rear derailleurs and they are expensive. My experience with them is that they last longer. But unlike my Catrike 700 and Expedition days I don't need a front shifter. I don't want to pay the added expense for a front shifter I don't need.

The original MicroShift was added September of last year replacing the Di2 electronic shifter (that post here).

September 2021.
A new MicroShift indexed bar end shifter
and cable actuated derailleur replaced
the Di2 system.

.


For those who just have to know more here is the shifter broken down.

Metal shavings seen after removing the end piece.


Where the indexing magic takes place.
One ball bearing is missing. Did it escape 
while I was taking the unit apart or...?


All the parts.
 Other than the metal shavings and a missing 
ball bearing all the other parts seem good. 
But it doesn't take much to mess up the 
required precision of an indexed shifter.