Saturday, January 29, 2011

700 for a Ride

I took my Catrike 700 for a fast paced 22 mile ride with a respectable 1,292 elevation gain. It's the first time in a few months that I've been on the 700. It has been set up for my son Byron for the last few months so I've been riding my good ole reliable Catrike Expedition and usually towing my dog Betzi.
I'm not one who usually quantifies enjoying the outdoors but flying on the 700 and getting up to a little over 59mph at one point sure helps my 57 year old ego. It must have been all those 11 mile rides with Betzi in tow and the 891 elevation gain per ride that has put me in better shape then I thought. All this time I thought I was just having fun! The Expedition with all my gear, trailer and Betzi tops out at 115 pounds before I put my butt in the seat. The 700 is 35 pounds when ready to go and has much less rubber on the road.



I felt like I was flying on my 700 without all the extra weight. I passed a dozen DF's with only one youngster in the proper couture passing me. Of course I would have passed him later but I had to make a right turn...at least I would like to think that I would have passed him. :)

The Catrike 700 is very stable, fast and nibble with its direct steering. Being low to the pavement with only 2 1/4' inches of ground clearance keeps your center of gravity low, very low.



Sorry Betzi, you'll be riding with me only on weekdays. The weekends are for me, my ego and extra miles.