Sunday, May 15, 2011

On the Road Again

Today’s ride didn’t suffer the calamities of Wednesday’s ride, the first ride since I had hip surgery (First Ride with Repaired Hip).  I rode a modest 12 miles with a little over 900 feet of elevation gain. It was enough for me to determine that after five weeks of not riding, my aging infrastructure hasn’t deteriorated as much I though. Spinning in the garage probably helped.
I woke up to rain and I submitted to the thought of not being able to ride today. I went back to sleep only to awake later to discover that the rain had moved on. Sure enough by 8:30 I was on the road with Betzi with scattered clouds dotting the clear blue sky and a cool breeze. The day turned out to be the nicest day of the year.

Short MUP through the park

As I came closer to the end of my ride I found myself going slower. I wasn't tired I just didn't want the ride to end. The weather was perfect and there was very little traffic. I even encountered some friendly drivers. Not wanting to push my recovery from surgery I inched my way home enjoying the last few moments on the road.

I refused to let the perfect day go to waste so after my ride the kids, Carrie and I spent most of the day hanging in our back yard playing with Betzi. I spent the last hours of the day with Carrie sharing a jug of beer from a local micro brewery while listening to Byron make Leili laugh somewhere inside the house.