Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Why ICE Sprint FS E8000

I've forgotten what's it's like to get out of bed in the morning without pain. Of course some mornings are better then others. It all depends on how much I pushed myself the day before. My chronically sore hip muscles (from the screwed up hip replacements in 2013) protest in the morning and more recently my wrists, from carpal tunnel (soon to be dealt with), are joining in the protest. A few cups of tea while waiting for the Ibuprofen to soften the aches and pains and I'm soon ready to start the day.

Recently our move to a new home took away the time and desire to ride until just a few weeks ago. Now that we're settled in I'm back to riding again. But during the last few months of packing, moving, unpacking and fixing up the new house my body was screaming at me to take it easy. Even with my beautiful wife telling me to not do so much it's in my nature to be physical. I just like to get things done. Indeed the last few months were rough on my old body and mind. But I've been through much worse so I knew this would be a temporary mind game.

Soon after getting the new house set up I finally took my first ride in four months on my Catrike 700. A short, very short 8 miles and 515 feet of gain later I was back home feeling soooo old. It hit me that even when I was at my best (which I will be soon again) over the last few years 30 miles or 1,000 feet of gain, whichever came first, was pretty much the limit of my comfort level when riding. In that moment I accepted that I do have limits. How can I extend those limits? Easy...let common sense prevail where ego once ruled. Not every ride has to be 100% under my own power. Let the MAMILs struggling along on poorly geared upright carbon bikes serve there ego. My ego will be just fine without having to push myself to hard. I want to keep enjoying life and to so I'm calling on Zeus to give me a little assist to go farther and higher.

In about five weeks I'll have my new ICE Sprint FS E8000 to take me on those elusive longer rides. No more wasting my hips going up hills. And longer rides. With the help of Shimano's E8000 pedal assist I can go beyond my limits. And when my ego needs servicing I'll take a short fast spin on my 700.