Thursday, April 18, 2019

Sorry Catrike..it's ICE Time

My thread on BentRider posted 4/17/19. Go to BentRider for comments.

Sorry Catrike..it’s ICE Time

Catrike is missing the boat. The market for electric assist is growing and Catrike tells me they have no plans to enter the electric assist market at this time. The only option is an after market add on to a Catrike. The E-assist add ons don’t thrill me. In addition an after market add on will void the Catrike warranty.

Over the last ten years I’ve purchased seven Catrikes but my loyalty will now be divided between Catrike and ICE. I ordered an ICE Sprint FS E8000. It’ll replace my Catrike Expedition while I keep my Catrike 700 for shorter fast rides.

After driving over to Bent Up Cycles and taking a spin on an ICE Adventure equipped with Shimano’s Steps E8000 I was hooked. With no second thought I had Dana order me the Sprint FS with the E8000.

Over the years Catrike has had a tendency to follow market trends for awhile before making a commitment to produce what customers want. Their late entry into the suspension market stands as an example of this “wait and see” philosophy. It also seems to me that with their recent introduction of the Catrike Eola that Catrike is focusing more on affordability and leaving the high end and E-assist market to manufacturers like ICE.


ICE trikes are definitely more expensive but they are beautiful machines. I didn’t want to “wait” for Catrike to determine the viability of the E-assist market so I will soon take possession of an ICE Sprint FS E8000.