Thursday, February 23, 2023

E8000 38t Chainring

Up to now I never worried about an electronic failure with my Shimano E8000. I know I could call my beautiful wife to come bail me out. Over the years of using e-assist I had to be bailed out only once when I ran out of battery power to the assist drive on a steep long climb. The integrated headlight was to blame for the loss of assist (post here). At that time my lowest gear was 26.5 gear inches. 

Things are a little different now. I'm riding off road a bit more and will be spending more time off road when the rainy season is over. I have to be able to bail myself out if I have an electrical failure to the assist system. That means being able to have gears that I can reasonably use to pedal without power. Right now my low gear is 24.2 gear inches. With the trike weight I can expect a bit of a struggle getting up hills. So I felt a lower gear option would be the smart thing do. I switched out the 44t chainring for a 38t chainring which gives me a manageable 20.9 gear inch ratio with my 11t/46t cassette. I'm giving up some of the high end gear inches which is fine off road but it will slow me down a little on pavement. 

Also there is a long 12 degree grade on one of the off road trails I'll be riding. The 38t chainring will be appreciated.

If I feel I need a even lower gear a 36t or 34t chainring is also available for the E8000.

__________________

Original Configuration - 44t Chainring (Shimano), 11t/42t Cassette, Gear inch range - 101.0 to 26.5

Current Configuration - 44t Chainring (Shimano), 11t/46t Cassette, Gear inch range - 101.0 to 24.2

New Configuration - 38t Chainring (E-Thirteen), 11t/46t Cassette, Gear inch range - 87.2 to 20.9


Other available chainrings (Shimano or compatible) for the E8000.  

Possible Configuration - 36t Chainring, 11t/46t Cassette, Gear inch range - 82.6 to 19.8

Possible Configuration - 34t Chainring, 11t/46t Cassette, Gear inch range -  78.0 to 18.7


The old 44t Shimano chainring with the integrated bash guard.



The new 38t E-Thirteen chainring. 
No integrated bash guards are available on smaller chainrings.

NOTE: I would normally remove 1 chain link per each tooth less on the new smaller chainring, that would be 6 links. But when I put the ICE Ergo Luxe sit on awhile back and pushed the boom out I maxed out the chain when on the largest cassette cog. So I only took 2 links off the chain giving the chain a little play when on the large or small cog.