Friday, June 30, 2023

Back to Road Tires...for now





There is still too much water crossing the trails to have any extended meaningful rides off road. Most of my ride time is still spent on pavement so keeping the GT365s on didn't make any sense. I went back to a road tire setup. So goodbye Schwalbe GT365s...for now. Hello Schwalbe Marathon Plus 35/406 front and a 35/559 on the rear.


I wanted more time off road (see my February Post) but too much water is still crossing the couple of trails suitable for my trike. And I don't want to fold up my trike and travel to another trailhead. I like to just pull out of my driveway and ride.


In addition to putting road tires on I removed the rack and panniers to lighten the trike up a bit. The ride necessities are now trucked away in ICE seat pouches and a T-Cycle frame bag. I’ll use a ICE Sidepod when I want to carry an extra battery and more stuff for longer rides. 


For now, it's the Schwalbe Marathon Plus on front and rear. I have other tire combinations I'll probably try out over the summer. The Plus 35mm tires aren't the lightest or the fastest (but not too slow either). I've gotten use to riding with fewer flats over the last year with the Schwalbe Marathons and the Schwalbe GT365s. I feel the 35mm Plus tires are a good compromise between speed and fewer flats.


My unscientific tire speed tests are (here).