Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Broken ICE Boom Bolts



If you're like me and enjoy experimenting with different trike configurations which may at times include moving the boom then read on.

The bolts that secure the boom are under a lot of pressure and suffer from fatigue when tighten and loosened too many times and they may break. Even when using a torque wrench to avoid over tightening they seem to snap after a few rounds of tightening and loosening.

The first time a bolt snapped it was a challenge to remove the manufacturer installed bolt. With the snapped bolt head removed I then had to use my Dremel to mill a slot in the opposite end of the bolt so I could use a flathead screwdriver to get the bolt to stick out. Once it was out far enough I attached a vice grip and finished the removal of the broken bolt by unscrewing it.

Now I use a longer bolt that protrudes out the opposite side about a 1/4 inch. When a bolt snaps, and it will if you play around with them enough, I can easily grab it with a vise grip and twist and remove it.

A 30mm long bolt extends far enough out that 
it can be easily grasped. I put black rubber caps
on the bolt end just for looks.


Vice grip is clamped down on protruding bolt
end. Twist until the broken piece of bolt comes out.


Bolt Depot as the all the bolts, washers and nuts that you'll ever need.