Thursday, July 5, 2012

Hypnotized

The road smooth, the grade is a gentle long incline and there's no traffic. In front of me my legs and feet, bonded to my pedals, are steadily and smoothly moving chain over chainwheel. I'm hypnotized by the rhythmic motion of the well oiled chain connecting with the teeth of my chainwheel. Moving over the top and disappearing below the chain is soon released in a never ending cycle of propulsion. My trance is deepen my the smooth lubricated sounds of gears and chain and the subtle road vibrations. My body the engine and my Catrike my faithful chariot. 

All to soon I'm brought back to the reality of the road. Out of the corner of my eye I see movement in my mirror and within a few seconds my mirror is filled with the shiny grill of a ridiculously raised SUV. It roars by me with it's altered mufflers claiming to be mighty and powerful but only backed up by a fossil fuel factory engine. The doppler effect rattles my brain and my trance is broken.

Still...all is good.